We are heading back to Derry to dig at Elagh Castle, also know as Doherty's Tower next week.
Volunteers are welcome to join in the dig (August 14th- 23rd) - please register with the North West Volunteer Centre
A bit about the castle (from the NI-SMR) -
This was an Irish castle probably dating to the 14th century. It was an O'Doherty stronghold until 1600 when it was abandoned and part demolished by the English. O'Doherty reclaimed it in 1608, but lost it to Chichester who used it for a garrison. It was leased by 1621, and by 1665 had fallen into disrepair. There is evidence remaining of a curtain wall in at least two places west of the existing tower. This tower retains traces of a portcullis slot and is likely to be the surviving portion of a double-towered gateway. There are also traces of a corner tower in the SW of the outcrop on which the castle stood. The various contemporary reports suggest the castle consisted of a lofty square keep with semi-circular towers projecting from two of the angles.